Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Teenagers locked up for 20 years after reign of terror

September 21, 2021
Share by emailShare by email

Two teenagers who carried out a string of violent street robberies during a two-month reign of terror have today been locked up for a combined total of 20 years.

Police said the significant sentence shows serious violence has no place in Nottinghamshire and residents can be reassured the force will always do its utmost to keep residents safe and remove dangerous individuals from the county’s streets.

Logan Davies, aged 19, and a younger accomplice who cannot be named, used knives, hammers and imitation firearms to threaten or injure victims, before snatching belongings such as phones, wallets and watches.

Some victims were punched or attacked with weapons, while others were threatened.

Between them, the two teenagers targeted 15 victims.

The street robberies took place in Nottingham, Long Eaton and Skegness in July and August last year.

The pair were arrested on 21 August 2020 on suspicion of four robberies. A demanding police investigation led to more robberies coming to light and a plethora of evidence was presented to the courts.

Such was the strength of the evidence, the two teenagers went on to plead guilty to 36 counts between them.

They were sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court today (Tuesday 21 September).

Logan Davies, of Rose Close, St Ann’s, pleaded guilty to 17 offences. These included 11 counts of robbery, two counts of attempted robbery, one count of possession of a bladed article, two counts of possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, and one count of possession of an offensive weapon.

He was locked up for 11 years and two months. He will spend two-thirds of the sentence in custody and the rest on licence.

A 16-year-old boy, who can’t be named, pleaded guilty to 19 offences. These included 13 counts of robbery, two counts of attempted robbery, two counts of possession of a bladed article, one count of possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, and one count of possession of an offensive weapon.

He was sentenced to eight years and 10 months in custody. He will be released at the halfway point and then be on licence to the end of the sentence.

The first robbery took place in Corporation Oaks, St Ann’s, at around 7.40pm on 16 July 2020 where three men were targeted as they sat on a bench.

Davies’ younger accomplice – aged 15 at the time – asked one of them: “Where are you from? These are my ends.”

He then threatened to stab one of the other men on the bench, before grabbing his wallet and plastic bag of shopping that was by his feet.

Another incident, in Robin Hood Chase, St Ann’s, took place shortly after midnight on 14 August 2020. The two teenagers approached a man and threatened him with a knife before punching him repeatedly and taking his phone, watch and keys.

There was also a knife-point robbery on the Forest Recreation Ground at about 3.30am on 18 August and another robbery shortly after 10pm the next day on Palmerston Gardens, St Ann's.

The final incident happened near Skegness Pier where a teenager was struck with a hammer on 20 August.

Detective Constable Natasha Ullyatt, who led the investigation, said she was pleased with the length of the sentences.

She said: “These sentencings should serve as warning to anybody who is thinking about committing street robberies.

“The level of violence used by Davies and his accomplice had a significant impact on the victims and today’s sentences reflect the seriousness of what they did.

“Some of the victims decided to leave their jobs as a result of what happened to them and others required hospital treatment.

“It’s fair to say I’ve never come across anything like this case in my eight years of policing and I hope I never will again.”

Detective Constable Richard Evans, who also worked on the case, was also delighted with the sentencings.

He said: “This was a complex investigation that enabled us to gather significant evidence against Davies and his young accomplice.

“At its heart are victims of various ages who have all gone through some very unpleasant and frightening experiences.

"I would like to thank all of those people for cooperating with us and to all the other witnesses who have come forward.

“Their help, coupled with a lot of joint working between various different policing teams, has resulted in these convictions.

“As this case shows, Nottinghamshire Police simply won’t tolerate this kind of thuggery and will go to very great lengths to bring offenders to justice.”

Share by emailShare by email

101 is the number to call when you need to contact Nottinghamshire Police and it’s less urgent than a 999 call. Calls are free, no matter how long the call lasts.