We'll soon have a new website - Take a look and try out our new website experience

Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Report a road traffic incident

Share by emailShare by email

If there is an emergency, call 999 now.

How to report a road traffic incident (RTI) to Nottinghamshire Police

Nottinghamshire Police request that you report the details of the collision to police within 24 hours of it occurring.

You can report a road traffic incident using the online incident reporting tool or call the 101 non-emergency number.

A road traffic incident is an incident involving a vehicle that results in any damage to person(s), animals, property or any vehicle.

Specifically, owing to the presence of a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place; personal injury (or damage) was caused to either:

  • Another person
  • Vehicle
  • Animal

Where they were:

  • In or on that vehicle
  • on the property forming part of the land in which the road was situated (or the land adjacent to it)

If you have been involved in a road or traffic incident, continue reading for more information on what to do next.

I have been involved in a road/ traffic incident, what should I do now?

Safety first

First and foremost, stop in a safe place - regardless of whether it is your fault or not.

Exchanging details at the scene

Be sure to exchange details with the other party or parties involved, as well as anyone else who has reasonable grounds to ask for them.

Details that should be exchanged following an incident include:

  • The driver's name and address.
  • The name and address of the vehicle's owner, if you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle.
  • The vehicle's registration number.

You should exchange insurance details if the incident has resulted in an injury.

What else do I need to do?

If there has been an injury:

If the injury is serious, call 999 immediately and request medical assistance.

If you or another person has been injured, you are legally obliged to produce your insurance certificate at the time of the collision to a police officer, or those with reasonable grounds to see it. Those without their insurance policy/certificate with them at the time of the incident must present it to the police within seven days.

If a police officer has not attended, you must then report it to the police as soon as possible and, in any case, within 24 hours.

If the road is blocked

Call 999 immediately and wait in a safe place for an officer to arrive. We will clear the road and take details of the incident. 

If there is major damage to property

  • Call 999 and report details of the incident.
  • We will then make a case by case judgement as to whether to attend the scene.
  • Make sure to exchange details (name, address and registration number of the vehicle owner) with the any other party or parties involved, including the property owner, if they can be found.

If you are unable to drive away

Contact your (or the nearest) breakdown assistance company, then report the details to the police as soon as possible within 24 hours using the 101 non-emergency number.

If threats have been made at the scene

Call 999 immediately if the threats are ongoing and there is a risk at the scene and we will advise. In all cases, you must report the details of a road traffic incident to the police within 24 hours by calling the 101 non-emergency number.

If the offending vehicle has not stopped

Call 999 if the incident has just happened. Call the 101 non-emergency number if, for example, you have returned to your car and found collision damage.

Details will be taken, including:

  • The vehicle registration of the offending vehicle
  • Descriptions
  • Direction of travel
  • If there is CCTV available; and
  • Any other information about the incident.

We will then make a case by case judgement as to whether to attend the scene.

How do I apply for information?

If you have been involved in a collision you can apply for third party details by e-mailing accident.records@nottinghamshire.pnn.police.uk or writing to the Accident Records department, Sherwood Lodge, Arnold, Nottingham NG5 8PP.

If you are a legal representative or insurance company you can apply for information by writing to the above address and enclosing the non-refundable administration fee.

If you wish to apply for a copy of the accident report you should submit your request to the above address, enclosing the administration fee and wait to be advised if an accident report has been compiled.  If the accident report is not currently available your application will be retained until such time as the accident report can be released.

In the case of fatal and serious injury collisions the accident report may contain a larger amount of documents which will incur an additional cost.

Non-refundable administration fee - £37.00

Cheques are made payable to ‘Notts PCC’