Advice Guide - Holiday Security
Follow the guidance on our holiday checklist to make your home more secure whilst you're away.
Secure your home whilst you're on holiday
A third of all burglaries in Nottinghamshire are due to insecurities. Follow our advice below to help keep your home safe while you're away.
- Fit good quality kite marked British Standard locks or bolts to all outside doors. Lock all windows and doors and remove the keys to a safe place when you leave the house.
- If you have an intruder alarm, make sure it’s set. If you don’t have one consider having an approved alarm system installed. Visit www.nsi.org.uk to find approved companies in your area.
- Make use of timer plugs with lamps and radios to make your house seem occupied. Try and let a trusted friend or neighbour know that you’re going to be away from home. You could ask a trusted neighbour or friend to collect post, open and close curtains.
- Don’t leave valuable items such as laptops and jewellery in view of windows. Lock valuable items away in a ground anchored safe or you could consider leaving important documents and valuable items with other family members whilst away.
- Make sure all access points are secured such as gates and activate any external security lighting that you may have.
- Ensure gardening equipment, tools and ladders are put away and securely stored. Don’t leave them lying around in your garden as they could aid offenders.
- Ensure that sheds and out buildings are locked and secured. Use good quality locks on garages and sheds (ensure screws on latches and hinges cannot be undone easily from the outside) and where possible ensure that they are alarmed Shed alarms are available for purchasing from the Pre Crime Unit, see contact details below.
- Mark your valuables such as jewellery and electronic equipment including your gardening equipment, tools and other valuables stored in sheds and garages with your postcode. Visibly marking items with your postcode offers more of a deterrent, and ensure that you use window stickers to show items are marked and identifiable. Kits can be purchased from the Crime Prevention Unit, visit www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/crimefighter.
- Register your valuables online on the national property database at www.immobilise.com You can register almost any kind of item on the database free of charge. Immobilise helps Police reunite stolen items with their rightful owners.
- Cancel milk and newspaper deliveries if you have them. Don’t announce your departure to a shop full of people. Only tell people who need to know you’re going away.
- Think before posting statuses or commenting on social media about going on holiday. You wouldn’t display a sign in your window advertising that you’re going on holiday, so don’t advertise it online.
- Make sure that you have up-to-date contents and buildings insurance.
- Don’t have your home address showing on your luggage for the outward journey. Put this only on the inside of your cases.
- Is there a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme where you live? Visit www.ourwatch.org.uk and enter your postcode to check to see if there are any schemes declared in your area, or alternatively speak with your local Neighbourhood Policing Team.
- Finally, just before you actually set off it’s worth allowing a quiet couple of minutes on the doorstep to check you’ve done all you had to do and taken everything you need with you.
Find more excellent advice with our Crime Prevention Guides.
To speak to our Pre Crime Unit about protecting your property and reducing your chances of becoming a victim of crime, email firstname.lastname@example.org